Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Deep thoughts...

I had a very typical me conversation with a friend recently which made me think (a rare occurence and a life threatening one as such strenuous activity may likely kill the two surviving brain cells of mine)

Me: ...Dont understand anything u said...
Friend: Supposing there are X and Y, and you are good friends with person X. And dont really care abt person Y. Supposing person X kills person Z. You will be more accepting towards that scenario rather than if person Y killed Z
Me: What if i like Person Z more than person X...
Friend: Even then. You will be more accepting because X is your friend.
Me: But i have a logical question. If person X kills person Z, how can person Y kill Z as well. You cant kill a dead person, you know...
(I imaging said friend must have been driven up the wall with my flippancy)

But flippancy aside, this conversation got me thinking (yeah - the dreaded word again...One brain cell gasping for breath already).

Its all about relationships and perception. I should use the word equation, to be more apt. Coz you have equations at the work place, and relationships outside it. And my thought centred around work and the workplace. I noticed that whenever i have a "mentor", "buddy", "great dude" equation with someone, i tend to overlook their obvious unprofessional conduct at times. The exact same mistake or one of a lesser intensity committed by a person with who i share a more "duh" "uncool" "who cares about him" "what an idiot" equation, i treat like it is the biggest mistake since Bush (Sr and Jr) attacked Iraq. And i do consider that a HUGE mistake. Rather like most of the marks i score on my exams (there comes flippancy again...)

So whats so deep about all this? Nothing. I knew this even before this conversation happened. But i realised something more. In case a positive equation has turned, or is turning, negative, then i go all out to nitpick and ensure that i completely turn against the person. At least mentally. Not the greatest thing to do. But there it is. And i refuse to accept that its only me. Im pretty sure, the rate at which someone comes crashing down from a pedestral is far higher than the rate at which they got there. And more importantly, once the fall starts, it is the viewer who pushes the idol down faster.

That brings us to rebuilding: resurrecting equations which have turned sour vis-a-vis relationships that started sour is far more difficult. After all in the latter case, there is no way to go but up. And in the former case, well, disillusionment is the hardest phase of any equation to get over...

Well so much for deep thoughts. Lets go back to flippancy...
wonder why it is that when i pack my stuff, my cleanser always leaks, but my toner stays intact...

2 comments:

Tinkerbells said...

yea, once the fall starts, the idol comes crashing down...but I also feel you try your best to prevent your idol from fallin....tryin to pearch it up with whatever imagination you have...I am glad I could stimulate that two idle brain cells of yours!!!
BTW, cleanser with its inate urge to clean tries to clean your dirty suitcase as well...that's why it leaks :P

Tinkerbells said...

mmm...I agree that once an idol falls it comes crashin down...but we all try and keep our idols in tact as far as possible....until there is absolutely no way we can keep it up on that pedestal !!!
BTW, maybe the cleanser felt the need to clean your suitcase and hence leaked itself !!!