Monday, April 23, 2007

A restless soul

Of late i find myself wondering if i have not limited my life by a self imposed rule of "no settling down abroad". And more and more, am tempted to break that rule. My initial reasoning for staying away from the temptation of "a more convenient" life abroad was that everything i hold familiar and dear is here. As things changed, i reasoned my rule to be a fallout of the "if you dont want to succumb, dont be tempted" logic. I often tell friends of mine who live abroad and ask me to consider emigrating, that i am scared to do so, as i dread becoming one of those AICD (Abroad immigrated confused desis) or more importantly i will not want to return home.

But the more i think about it now, the more convinced i am that a restless soul like me would not get tied down to a place just because it is convenient. So maybe i should look beyond geographical constraints, most of which are in my own mind. If i think about it, Singapore is only 3 hours away. Australia maybe eight. And living where i do currently is anyway akin to being shrouded in anonymity. What is the difference if i choose to get lost in the legions of rat-race participants in India, Australia or USA? Its globally the same stupid race anyway. The same type of people - The good, the bad and the ugly. Or to corporatize it: The idealists, The Cynics and the suck-ups. Its a matter of learning to disregard those people who are irrelevant to my life. This will probably be easier in an environment abroad. Coz i will have minimum connectivity beyond work - like language or culture , and so i can stay pretty detached.

So maybe, who knows, Sydney, Here i come???

No comments: